LEDs (light emitting diodes) are solid-state semiconductor devices that can convert electrical energy directly into light.
Features and Benefits of LEDs
- Save money and energy. Generally, a LED consumes less than 0.1 watts to operate. This low power consumption means you save on your energy costs.
- Low heat output. LEDs can convert almost all the energy used into light creating a highly efficient light source. In contrast, today's incandescent bulbs emit a lot of energy in the infrared spectrum which can't be seen. We know this wasted energy as the heat today's bulbs give off.
- Long life time. A LED can last up to 100,000 hours. High Power LEDs can last up to 50,000 hours. In comparison an incandescent lifetime is about 1,000 hours and a halogen is about 2,000 hours.
- Environmentally safe. LEDs are made from non-toxic materials unlike fluorescents which contain Mercury. Can also be recycled.
- Durable. No loose or moving parts.